JH Baxter & Co. - Eugene Plant
Air Toxics Health Risk Assessment Status
Cleaner Air Oregon is a health-based permitting program that regulates emissions of toxic air contaminants from facilities based on risk to nearby communities. CAO requires facilities to report toxic air contaminant emissions, assess potential health risks to people nearby and reduce toxic air contaminant risk if it exceeds legal limits.
As part of the Cleaner Air Oregon process, each facility has a dedicated web page to provide communities access to facility information and updates on where it is involved in the process.
- Each step of the CAO risk assessment process has a section that includes LRAPA's communications and deliverables from the facility.
- A color-coded graphic shows where a facility is in the Cleaner Air Oregon Process.
- For additional information and history of the program, visit the DEQ Cleaner Air Oregon website.
Air Toxics assessment status for J.H. Baxter & Co.
|Air Toxics assessment process||Legend: Risk Assessment Process|
- Facility Information
- Facility Map
- Emissions Inventory
- Modeling Protocol & Risk Assessment
- Risk Assessment Report
- Risk Reduction Plan
- CAO Process Completed
About the Facility – J.H. Baxter & Co.
The facility treats various wood products such as railroad ties, electrical service poles, and crossarms with water and oil-based chemicals. The facility has operated at the location since the early 1940s. Learn more about LRAPA's regulation of J.H. Baxter & Co. by viewing their current air permit below.
|J.H. Baxter & Co. site address|
3494 Roosevelt Blvd.
Eugene, OR 97402
|Current Cleaner Air Oregon Step|
|Current air permit|
Permit type: Standard ACDP
Source Number: 200502
Current Air Permit
Review Report and Emission Details
541-736-1056, ext. 231
For an introduction to emissions inventories and why they matter, please see EPA’s Fact Sheet. A facility-specific emissions inventory timeline and associated documents are linked below.
December 2, 2019: LRAPA calls J.H. Baxter & Co. into the program
- LRAPA's call in letter to J.H. Baxter & Co.
February 13, 2020: J.H. Baxter & Co. requests an extension to allow additional time to prepare the emission inventory and proposes to submit a Liquid Sampling Plan.
- J.H. Baxter’s Liquid Sampling Plan to LRAPA submitted March 6, 2020.
May - October, 2020: LRAPA and the facility entered discussions to clarify the emission inventory approach
- J.H. Baxter’s technical memo submitted May 5, 2020 regarding the scientific approach used as a basis for the liquid sampling plan.
- J.H. Baxter’s technical memo submitted August 5, 2020 describing the calculation approach to estimate air toxics along with example treated storage and retort door opening emission calculations
- LRAPA’s comments and requests for additional information sent to J.H. Baxter & Co. on September 23, 2020
- J.H. Baxter’s response to LRAPA’s request for information submitted October 23, 2020.
December, 2020: LRAPA joins DEQ Cleanup and other regulatory agencies in discussions after elevated levels of dioxins were found in offsite soil samples. A joint-agency website on cleanup efforts and community engagement methods is created.
January - May, 2021: LRAPA and J.H. Baxter & Co. come to an agreement on key points for the emission inventory approach. J.H. Baxter & Co. conducts liquid sampling and schedules third-party source testing.
- LRAPA’s January 7th letter requiring stack testing of the carbon adsorption unit and pentachlorphenol stacks, and agreement on the liquid sampling approach to supplement stack testing measurements of air concentrations.
- J.H. Baxter’s January 22nd response to the LRAPA stack testing letter along with a revised Liquid Sampling Plan to include dioxin analysis. LRAPA’s letter approving the revised Liquid Sampling Plan.
- Liquid sampling conducted February 11th. Preliminary lab results presented to LRAPA on April 16th indicating quality assurance issues. Resampling and new analysis conducted in May/June 2021.
- May 2021: J.H. Baxter schedules third-party stack testing to potentially occur as early as August 2021.
Modeling Protocol & Risk Assessment
J.H. Baxter & Co. are currently in the Emissions Inventory Step of the Cleaner Air Oregon process. This field will be updated once the facility reaches the Modeling Protocol & Risk Assessment portion of CAO.
Below are identified Receptor locations around J.H. Baxter & Co.'s facility.
Risk Assessment Report
J.H. Baxter & Co. are currently in the Emissions Inventory Step of the Cleaner Air Oregon process. This field will be updated once the facility reaches the Risk Assessment portion of CAO.
Risk Reduction Plan
J.H. Baxter & Co. are currently in the Emissions Inventory Step of the Cleaner Air Oregon process. This field will be updated once the facility reaches the Risk Reduction portion of CAO.
Completed Cleaner Air Oregon Process
J.H. Baxter & Co. are currently in the Emissions Inventory Step of the Cleaner Air Oregon process. This field will be updated once the facility completes the Cleaner Air Oregon process.